Thursday, December 10, 2009

Burnt out on Ballet..?

I'm 18 and have been dancing my entire life, but in the past 5 years I've begun to realize that having taken from a tiny private studio (the only thing available in my area) my whole life has made my technique well... remedial. I've gone away for summer intensives the last 4 summers, and am looking into college with the idea of majoring in ballet performance, but I'm beginning to wonder whether it's worth it to continue to sacrifice my precious senior year free time for a career I may have already missed the boat on.



If anyone out there has been in this situation I'd like to hear how you handled it, (ie, did you stay in it for fun, throw in the towel, stick it out, etc) and how that worked out for you.



Anything would be great!



Burnt out on Ballet..?greek theater



I promise you college will be the best thing you ever do with your life. But I always loved school in general anyway. So if you like school and you love dance then what could be better than the two of them combined?



Of course, if you plan to settle into your town where there is only one studio and don't opt to go up against that or change it then it's probably better to let your dreams go.



If you opt to major in ballet because you love it and dream for it to take you somewhere in life then what is the point of the question?



When I was a teenager I made the mistake of putting friends and tv and trivial things like dumb phone calls about boys first. Now those 'friends' are long gone, those tv shows don't matter to my present existence and I lost what was really important to me. I'd advise you not to do the same thing. I spent years dreaming of Getting It Back, when I could have kept with it in the first place. Don't waste time. Dance is a bigger ocean than that, do you really think there's only one boat?



Burnt out on Ballet..?performing arts show opera theater



Prioritize. What is most important to you? Having an active social life in your senior year, or pushing forward in ballet to excel? Even if the studio is "tiny and private," that doesn't mean that you don't have the strength and proper technique to excel in ballet!
Unless you are 300% sure that you want to have a career in dance, then don't waste your time. If you enjoy it and are serious about it, you aren't sacrificing free time. Since you look at it like that, I get the feeling you're about done. You can still keep dancing casually, but not as intense. Senior year is important, and only the dancers who really deticate everything to being a dancer make it; you would be wasting your own time and others.
if you still want to dance maybe you should consider a new style which would open your eyes to new possibilities or it may solidify your desire to stop. either way you will come out a winner. do what is best for you. do not go into a field of study that you will abandon midway through.
I have the same problem as you. I came from a small studio and i grew up a competition kid. But now I'm realizing that maybe a small studio isn't the best. And to add to the factor my parents never really supported dancing for me as a career, they thought of it as just a hobby. So when i would be dying to go to the studio 6 times a week they didn't want me to. I'm trying to face reality, but it seems to soon to just quit. Dancing will always be my passion, so i never want to quit. But i have to realize my childhood dance training could keep me from a professional career. Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
ltd